QRP iambic keyer (SKC build)

Discuss active SolderSpot projects

QRP iambic keyer (SKC build)

Postby Eamon » Fri May 11, 2012 12:32 am

I'm transitioning to this fresh topic to continue discussion as the build gets under way.

Don't forget that the session is at 9am on Saturday (not in the afternoon as all the other sessions are and will be)!

The upcoming SKC build has taken shape over the last few days. Last weekend I went shopping at Addison for PC boards and boxes. Today I finally received the keyer chips from KD1JV. Tomorrow I’ll pick up the final batch of parts.

This build is different from the last one. We will be putting it together from a schematic, using a generic IC prototyping board. You will have to pay attention to how the parts are connected, as there will be no silkscreen on the board to guide you. On the other hand, there are only a few components (fewer than 10 on the board itself).

There will be a number of ways to get things done, and we will figure out a few things as we go along. The point of all of this is:
• Being able to build stuff like this gives you a lot more flexibility. It’s worthwhile learning how to figure these things out.
• Not everyone may want to do everything in the same way.
• I will map out one way to do it, but it won’t be the only way and it won’t necessarily be the best way.

What you need to bring:
• $12 for the keyer parts (exact cost TBD but will not be more) plus $5 per session for the hall
• Soldering supplies (as before)
• Notebook and pencil (more need than before to take notes, draw plans etc)
• Dremel tool with a few bits for modifying case (optional, if there are a few of them it will be enough)
• Your favorite adhesive technology (hot glue with gun, crazy glue). Again, this is optional and if a few bring it there will be plenty to go around. Also we may not get to the final assembly / gluing part this week.

Eamon
Eamon

Return to Active Projects