antenna workshop

Discuss active SolderSpot projects

antenna workshop

Postby VA2KEY » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:06 pm

25km.jpg
25km.jpg (232.96 KiB) Viewed 3650 times
Second WorkShop:

Some of my take-aways:
Surrounding terrain has a big impact on antenna performance.
Modeling terrain near antenna can help predict performance.
A topo map can be used to obtain modeling data.
Topo map contour lines can be used as the data points along the desired azimuth. The line represents the altitude and its distance from the antenna can be measured.

Since most of us live in the western part of Montreal, I believe we're all subject to only 2 significant geological formations within the scope of the 25 kilometers that Gilles proposed as the relevant distance.
1- Mont-Royal
2- The Oka hills

Here's my rationale:
-My QTH = Pointe Claire near southern end of St-John's Boulevard.
-The CCFQ tool at RAQI.CA allows you to place a pointer on a map and to draw a circle around it by specifying a radius.
-The CCFQ tool at RAQI.CA can show terrain features on the map.

When I look at a terrain map for 25 kms in all directions around my QTH, I only see The Oka hills and Mt-Royal as significant elevations.
I can actually use CCFQ to determine that Mount Royal starts at 16.6 kms away and Oka hills at 16kms. (Rigaud is 33kms away. The nearest south shore hill, St-Bruno, is 39kms away)

There are many man-made features to the surrounding terrain. Any ideas as to the impact of man-made features compared to geological ones? Any ideas on how to represent them in terrain models?

See screenshot.
VA2KEY

Return to Active Projects