Touch sensitive morse paddles

Start new threads (topics) or add to old ones, about projects you'd like to build.

Touch sensitive morse paddles

Postby VE2EVN » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:33 pm

I just built a nice little project. Not much in electronic components but the physical build was the hard part.

Two metal loops in front of a small plastic box. One for "dit" and one for "dah". Both are independent so it can be used with iambic keyers.
A switch for ON/Standby to disable the paddles when not in use. Another switch to reverse the paddles. Of course a cable with a TRS 1/4" plug to use with radios/keyers.

Electronic components used: 4 NPN transistors. Thats it.

I tested it with a "morse machine" keyer and it works really well. I would need an experienced cw op to test it out properly.

I took some pictures that I will upload soon.

Marc-Andre, VE2EVN
VE2EVN

Re: Touch sensitive morse paddles

Postby Eamon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Marc-André,

Do you have a link to the schematic?

- Eamon
Eamon

Postby VE2EVN » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:37 am

Eamon,

I do (here), but the circuit is very simple. Each touch "pad" is connected to the base of an NPN darlington pair, emitter to sleeve (ground) and collector to either tip or ring depending on which pad.
I'll have to make a schematic that shows my reversing switch as well which is not on the original design. Thats something I added when I noticed not every radio follows the Tip-"dit"/Ring-"dah" Icom/Yaesu "standard".

Here are some photos of my version:

Image Image
Note in the inside view, on the left side under that black goop are the transistors directly wired together, no perf board or other support. The black goop is for potting and keeps things from moving around.

I had everything but the plastic box in my junk-box, but even new it should be well under $10 for everything.

The box being very light, I will be adding Velcro to the underside to keep it from moving around while operating. Being very light would be good for portable use.

Marc-Andre, VE2EVN

Credit to Dave, W6DPS for the original design.
VE2EVN

Postby ve2rfi » Thu May 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Nice project Marc-Andre, I am thinking of building one to go with my QRP keyer and practice oscillator.

Charles
ve2rfi

Postby VE2EVN » Thu May 10, 2012 12:49 pm

ve2rfi wrote:Nice project Marc-Andre, I am thinking of building one to go with my QRP keyer and practice oscillator.

My advise would be to use a bit more components, like a comparator for the triggers. Using transistors alone makes it a little bit twitchy and not as usable.
Eamon did my beta testing and can chime in on the subject with more detail.

M-A
VE2EVN

Postby Eamon » Thu May 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Still it would be good if you brought it in Marc-Andre, so we can have a few keys to test the keyers with (I will bring my Bencher).

- Eamon
Eamon

Postby VE2EVN » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 am

Eamon wrote:Still it would be good if you brought it in Marc-Andre, so we can have a few keys to test the keyers with (I will bring my Bencher).

Bring in where, when? :?
VE2EVN

Postby Eamon » Fri May 11, 2012 2:28 am

Sorry Marc-Andre,

I thought you were coming to the keyer session this week. Now I seem to recall you aren't

- Eamon
Eamon

Postby VE2EVN » Fri May 11, 2012 9:14 am

Eamon wrote:Sorry Marc-Andre,

I thought you were coming to the keyer session this week. Now I seem to recall you aren't

Indeed. I'll be at the Hamfest tomorrow.

Have fun!

M-A
VE2EVN

Return to New Project Ideas